Keep calm and literally, carry on
Posted on December 06 2016
With Spring Break (and warmer temps) on the horizon, we are offering a refresher course on minimalist packing. Because as much as we love feeling prepared for any fabulous event that should arise, it's not exactly fun hauling around an over-packed piece of luggage, either. Cutting down on what makes it inside your weekender bag has everything to do with staying calm, cool, and collected. Ask yourself: What's the weather going to be like? Are there any formal evenings or events involved? Is there room to recycle outfit pieces? Those answers should help shape the contents of your carry on packing strategy, along with employing a level of self-restraint, of course.
Read on for our quick tips for packing (light) like a pro.
- Don't underestimate the power of making a list. We have a little cheat sheet to help you out (see below and download it here!)
- Write down the bare essentials of what you'll need for your trip, wherever the final destination may be. Key word here is basic: bras, underwear, socks, a pair of jeans, a warmer layer for the evenings, a chic go-with-everything dress, and so on. Then, follow your list without exception — it'll help you to not go overboard when you start digging into your wardrobe.
- Do be reasonable. Override that voice in your head trying to convince you that you absolutely need six different tops for a three-day trip. You don't . . . and the practical you knows that.
- Do roll your Hipknoties instead of folding them. First of all, it minimizes wrinkles and therefore you don't have to worry about the quality of your hotel iron. Second of all, it frees up a lot of space for other traveling necessities.
- Don't forget to pack a great belt, a pair of statement earrings, and a classic pair of flat sandals. When in doubt, these things will come in handy especially when taking your Hipknoties from day to night.
- Do adopt the recycled-outfit policy. Unless you've been out hiking all day, or rolling around in the sand, there's a very good chance you can wear certain wardrobe pieces more than once in a single trip. If you first wore your Hipknoties with a jacket and cute espadrilles for a casual night out, turn said Hipknoties into a beach cover-up for day two — just a thought!
Shop HipKnoTies and our must-have functional fashion pieces for travel here!
Shop Hipknoties on the web here, qvc.com and amazon.com